The interdisciplinary minor in Education, Schooling, and Society (ESS) uses a liberal arts perspective to reflect on, understand, and influence education in society. If you're interested in the program, email Ann Primus Berends to make an appointment.
Interested in questions like these?...
- What is the purpose of education?
- How does the history of the US educational system contribute to its present form and goals?
- Are educational opportunities equitable for all?
- What factors influence educational achievement?
- How do students learn and which classroom and teacher factors influence learning?
- How does education contribute to the development of the "good" citizen and the "just" society?
Become an ESS Minor!
Contact the ESS Office to learn more.
Announcements, Events, and Opportunities!
The Department of Childhood Studies at Rutgers University in Camden, New Jersey is accepting applications for its PhD and MA programs. Ph.D. application deadline is Funding is available. Graduate students in this program come from a variety of backgrounds and bring with them an impressive array of educational and life experience. This program is poised to bring innovation and growth to the field of childhood studies.
This fall a majority of students in America's public schools are people of color. The majority of teachers, on the other hand, are not. We need teachers of color. Read more.
Motivated to learn: "If schools truly want to engage students," says this article in Educational Leadership, "they need to downgrade control and compliance--and upgrade autonomy." Read more.